This month's OB of the month is a little different as they are our new Content and Events Intern, Shifra. Shifra has just graduated from the University of Manchester and will be working in the Development and Engagement Office until the end of this academic year. You'll be meeting Shifra over the next few months as she'll be attending plenty of Old Brightonian events throughout the year!
- When you were at Brighton College, what did you want to be when you ‘grew-up’?
Growing up, my dream job was to be the President of Pixar Animation Studios. I haven’t given up on that just yet…
- What are you doing now you've grown up?
I’m looking forward to starting my new position as Content and Events Intern in the OB office, and I’m still figuring out how to navigate my twenties.
- What is your best memory of school?
I loved spending time with my tutor group in Seldon house. We’ve shared a lot of memories and we’ll always be Mr Murray’s favourite (and only) tutor group for five consecutive years.
- What was the best piece of advice you were given whilst you were at the College?
Don’t be afraid to throw yourself into something, even if you make a few mistakes along the way – I credit the amazing Spanish Department with this advice during my battle with the A-Level speaking exams. It has led to some amazing opportunities beyond my school years and is a great rule of thumb for new beginnings.
- What did you study at university, and why did you choose that course?
I recently graduated with a BA (Hons) in American Studies from the University of Manchester. I’d always loved American literature, but I wanted the diversity of studying it alongside history and politics so that shaped my degree choice. I was also hugely influenced by my fantastic experiences on a Sixth Form trip to the USA, and on the inaugural Brighton College Canadian Exchange (my exchange partner, June, remains to be one of my closest friends). I was determined to study in North America, and lots of hard work finally paid off when I was accepted to study abroad at North Carolina State University.
- What do you enjoy in your spare time?
I’m usually planning my next trip across the globe or writing up my last adventure in my pink notebook.
- What are you most looking forward to about being back at Brighton College?
I’m excited to see the new School of Science and Sport which started construction while I was at the College.
- What have you done that you are most proud of?
I had my first article published online this year, so my grandparents think I’m famous now.
- Where do you hope to be in 10 years?
I’d like to be living in a new city, with a rescue dog and a job I love.
- What are the three objects you would take with you to a desert island?
Tall Tales and Wee Stories by Billy Connolly, Bananagrams and a pair of pink Crocs to outlive me.
- How would you like to be remembered?
As someone who was genuinely herself.