Former Headmaster William Blackshaw returned to the College on Saturday 28th January 2012, together with family and friends, for the formal opening of the Blackshaw Building, named in his honour. Formerly the classrooms for the Pre-Prep School, which moved over the summer to the old Roedean Junior School, the Blackshaw Building now houses the Maths, PE and EAL departments.
After the unveiling of a plaque to commemorate the occasion, Head Master Richard Cairns paid a warm tribute to Bill, who was Headmaster at Brighton College from 1971-87, and in whose time much of the current College campus was constructed, including the building that now bears his name. Bill thanked the Governors and colleagues who had supported him during his time at the College.
Joining Bill and his family at the opening, and for lunch afterwards, were Peter Coates, former Bursar; Beryl Gardner, Bill’s PA; Canon Bill Peters, College Chaplain; and former governors Stephen Cockburn (S. 1953-58) and Ian Dodd (H. 1955-60)